Our Quasar Plus lens cleverly utilises the eyes’ tears to provide precise vision at distance, intermediate and near. Clinical trials using empirical fitting have delivered an outstanding success rate of 86%.
The innovative Quasar Plus design cleverly uses the eyes’ own tears to deliver precise vision at distance, intermediate and near. Clinical trials conducted using empirical fitting have shown impressive results – a success rate of 86%.
The Quasar Plus is a distance centre multifocal with a graduated annulus of near vision where the progressive power is incorporated into the optics of the back surface of the lens. The aspheric design of the optical zone is based upon the patient’s degree of ametropia and the reading addition required, so the higher
The Multifocal is designed to mimic the tear profile of a single vision lens with the exception of the variable central aspheric back surface. This alters the tear layer thickness and generates the reading addition. The design is based on the fitting of a single vision lens, so the best fit for a standard diagnostic lens is required. The diagnostic lens should centre well with displaced or high-riding lenses being avoided. With this information, we will then incorporate the required degree of asphericity to generate the reading addition.
The lens ordered will have required altered fluorescein pattern and the patient will notice an increased depth of focus, improving their ability to read and perform close work. For some this improvement is instant, but for others, a longer adaptation period is required. Assuming satisfactory acuity for distance and near, the patient should trial the lens for up to two weeks before making any change to the lens power from resultant over-refractions.
If the fit of the lens is poor then check the fitting using the original single vision diagnostic set. When ordering a change in prescription we will need to know the original lens order so that the required alterations can be incorporated.
If you originally ordered:
7.80 9.60 -4.50 Add +2.00
and you find an over-refraction of -0.50 distance and no extra add is required (i.e.
If you originally ordered:
7.80 9.60 -4.50 Add +1.50
and you find an over-refraction of -0.50 distance and an extra add of +0.50 is required (i.e. +0.50 over-refraction in front of
As with all lenses, not every patient is suitable for all designs. To maintain confidence and a high success rate, avoid prescribing this lens to patients who present the following:
- Poor centration with the single vision diagnostic lens. The Quasar Plus Multifocal lens will work best when centration is good. A high-riding lens or displaced lens will not allow the optics of the lens design to provide any reading addition.
- Astigmatism greater than 2.00D. A stable freely moving lens design is needed; high degrees of corneal astigmatism will result in a compromised fit and will disrupt the visual performance. Using single vision lens designs to correct high degrees of astigmatism creates variable fluctuating tear film. Such fluctuations interrupt the back surface optics of the Multifocal; therefore these situations should be avoided.
- Cannot establish a satisfactory single vision diagnostic fit. If a patient cannot wear or use single vision rigid lenses, they are unlikely to be successful with the Multifocal design. The design has been developed to help you with the presbyopic lens population.
- Any corneal pathology present, i.e. keratoconus. A diseased cornea will not provide a stable platform, as a
resultthe patient will complain of variable vision or an unreliable reading add.
Quick Fitting Guide
- Establish the best fit using the Quasar diagnostic set. This is best achieved by starting with a lens with a B.O.Z.R on flattest K
- Confirm good centration
- Perform an over-refraction with the best-fit lens
- Determine the required reading addition
- Confirm the over-refraction for distance
Then order the lens providing the following information:
- B.O.Z.R. (from the single vision lens used in the trial)
- Total Diameter (from the single vision lens used in the trial)
- B.V.P. (power of the diagnostic lens plus over-refraction)
- Required reading addition.
- Poor centration with the diagnostic lens
- Astigmatism greater than 2.00D
- You could not establish a satisfactory single vision diagnostic lens fit
- Any corneal pathology present, i.e. keratoconus
- Clear distance vision
- Clear near vision
- Easy to fit
- High success rate
- True binocular vision
Long termpatient satisfaction
- Simulated fitting and ordering software available
DK60, DK90, SGP, SGP2 – Quasar Toric Custom
|7.00 to 9.00mm in 0.05 steps|
|Max Difference Flat/Steep||0.20mm|
|Total Diameters||9.50mm to 10.50|
|B.V. Power Range||-10.00 to +12.00D|
|Add Powers||0.75 to 2.50D (up to 3.50 on certain B.O.Z.R. and distance power combinations)|
Meet every challenge with the Quasar range of RGP lenses. Range includes: Single Vision, Toric and Multifocal.
Contact Lens Wear Without Compromise
Using breakthrough manufacturing technology, Tangible Hydra-PEG bonds a 40nm hydrophilic coating to the surface of specialist contact lenses, significantly increasing wettability and lubricity.
The result? Happy patients who can enjoy a life of comfortable contact lens wear free from compromise.
Tangible Hydra-PEG is available with all No7 GP lenses. Just ask our Customer Care team to add Tangible Hydra-PEG when you place your next order.
Perfect for all GP patients, Tangible Hydra-PEG offers:
Increased wearing times
Improved ocular health
Superior surface properties
Improved wearing experience
“Brilliant! I’ve gone from using eye drops 5 times a day to 0...”
Keratoconus RGP wearer | 50+ years
Research shows that 70% of patients prefer a Tangible Hydra-PEG coated lens to their habitual, uncoated lens.
End of day comfort
67% of patients said they prefer a lens coated with Tangible Hydra-PEG than uncoated.
Dry eye comfort
When asked about comfort, dry eye patients rated lenses coated with Tangible Hydra-PEG ‘8 out of 10’, compared to ‘3 out of 10’ for uncoated.
70% prefer a Tangible Hydra-PEG coated lens
Tangible Hydra-PEG Downloads
No7 Recommends - Ote Fine
All-in-one comfort solution for RGP contact lenses
Manufactured using the highest grade ingredients and exclusive to independent opticians, Oté Fine is the complete solution for all your RGP patients. Oté Fine is perfect for your EyeDream Ortho-k wearers too.
We have a dedicated technical support team, headed by Kevin, with decades of experience ready to help and advise you on any fitting issues. If you need support, please call:
Frequently Asked Questions
We’re here to help. If you can’t find the answer to your question, why not give us a call. Our offices are open Mon-Fri 9:00 – 17:30
Can I order these lenses empirically
How long will it take to manufacture lenses
What is the returns policy?
We are here to help
Drop us a line anytime, and one of our customer service team will respond to you as soon as possible.